There are many ways to get involved at MSSA:
1. Become a member: MSSA is powered by members. Annual membership dues enable MSSA to provide high-quality educational opportunities, networking events, and a public policy program. Click here to join. Click here for more information about member benefits.
2. Attend an event: MSSA events are opportunities for networking, education, and advocacy.
Check our calendar for a full list of upcoming events.
3. Participate in your region: MSSA's statewide membership is divided into regional chapters. Click here to learn more and find your region. Each region works on issues and events specific to their local chapter. The following regions are currently active:
- Region 4 (covering Stevens, Pope, Grant, Douglas, Traverse, Wilkin, Clay, and Becker Counties): Region 4 is currently planning its fall conference which will be held in Fergus Falls on September 21, 2017. Region 4 meets to plan the conference approx. once per month from May-October. Meetings take place in Otter Tail County. Participation via conference call is welcome.
- Region 6 and Region 8 (covering Big Stone, Swift, Kandiyohi, Meeker, Chippewa, Lac qui Parle, Yellow Medicine, Renville, McLeod, Lincoln, Lyon, Redwood, Pipestone, Murray, Cottonwood, Rock, Nobles, and Jackson counties): Regions 6 and 8 are currently planning their joint fall conference which will be held in Redwood Falls in September 2017 (date TBA). Regions 6 and 8 meet as-needed in person and via email April-September to plan the conference. In-person meetings take place in Olivia, MN.
- Region 7 (covering Stearns, Wright, Sherburne, Benton, Mille Lacs, Isanti, Kanabec, Chisago, and Pine counties): Region 7 is currently planning its fall conference which will be held in Pine City on September 15, 2017. Region 7 meets to plan the conference approx. once per month from April-September. Meetings take place in Pine City. Some work occurs via email.
- Region 9 (covering Sibley, Nicollet, Le Sueur, Brown, Watonwan, Blue Earth, Waseca, Martin, and Fairbault counties): Region 9 meets year-round on the first Monday morning of every month. Meetings take place at Minnesota Valley Action Council offices in Mankato, MN. Region 9 is currently planning summer and fall conferences.
- Region 12 (Hennepin County): Region 12 meets on the fourth Thursday of every month from 4:00-5:00pm. Region 12 is currently planning its annual All Star Awards Event, which will take place on August 24, 2017. Region 12 is also planning a fall Metro District Conference (date TBA).
If you would like to attend your region's next meeting, contact email@example.com for information.
4. Join a committee: MSSA is currently looking for members to join the following committees:
- Membership Committee: The membership committee is responsible for recruitment and retention of MSSA members. The committee may also work on other tasks as needed, such as event planning, awards, and scholarships. The membership committee meets once per month on Thursday mornings at MSSA's main office (125 Charles Ave, St Paul, MN 55103). Members who cannot attend in person can participate via conference call. Committee members are expected to be able to commit 2-3 hours per month, use their network to recruit new members, contact current members when necessary, promote events, and act as an ambassador for MSSA. If you are interested in joining the membership committee, please contact Marney Thomas at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Public Policy and Advocacy Committee: The legislative committee works with MSSA's board and staff to build and implement strategies to support MSSA’s public policy agenda. Committee members review and recommend policy positions in line with MSSA’s mission, develop partnerships to advance our advocacy work, and educate MSSA's membership of the benefits of public policy engagement and advocacy. For more information, contact Christina Zeise at email@example.com .
- Board of Directors: All current MSSA members in good standing are eligible to run for a position on MSSA's Board of Directors. Many of MSSA's board members were previously active at in their regions or with one of MSSA's committees. MSSA's board of directors meets the third Friday of every month at MSSA's main office (125 Charles Ave, St Paul, MN 55103). For more information, contact Christina Zeise at firstname.lastname@example.org.
5. Write a legislative resolution proposal: MSSA's Public Policy Agenda is made of legislative resolution proposals. A legislative resolution is a short, 1-page proposal that describes a problem and suggests a legislative solution. At MSSA's annual Delegate Assembly meeting, members from around the state come together to discuss legislative resolution proposals, and use them to create MSSA's Public Policy Agenda that guides MSSA's lobbying efforts during the legislative session. Click here to learn more about legislative resolution proposals and to download the form.
For more information about getting involved at MSSA, contact email@example.com. Say up-to-date by following MSSA on social media! Check out our Facebook and Twitter pages.